Tuesday, August 28, 2007

From James Ray...

"Any time I have seen someone accomplishing something magnificent, they have been a monomaniac with a mission. A single-minded individual with a passion."

--Peter Drucker

You may recall the movie City Slickers from a while back starring Billy Crystal and Jack Palance. In it, we observed the story of a man (Crystal) who because of a midlife crisis decides to go out with some buddies and rustle cattle for a week.

Curly (Palance), the trail boss to whom they report, really seems to have his head together, and Crystal's character keeps asking him what the secret is. Curly's only reply is to hold up his index finger and say, "One thing."

Finally in frustration, Crystal asks, "Well, what is that one thing?" To which Curly replies, "That's what YOU have to figure out... No one can do it for you."

This "Curly Principle" teaches us the same lesson that the renowned management consultant Peter Drucker has observed in highly successful people:

Monomania.

In other words, a single-minded focus and passion for that "one thing." Jesus taught us in Luke 11:34, "When thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light."

What are you singularly focused on?

Frequently, I meet individuals who want to have their dreams and yet aren't willing to give up anything to achieve them. This is self-deception. Choosing to become great in any area means choosing to not be great in another area. There will always be a price to pay. There will always be a sacrifice.

You can only ride one horse really well at any one time. Yes, you may be able to ride two, but nowhere NEAR as well as you can ride one. Nowhere near as agile, responsive or quick. Understand the difference?


"The secret to success in life is making your vocation your vacation."
--Mark Twain


Several years ago, I was in LA with some good friends attending an Elton John concert. I was asked what seems to be a frequent question among acquaintances, "What do you do for fun and recreation?"

This is always a difficult question for me to answer, because I know there's an unspoken expectation that I come up with a whole list of activities I'm involved in. Bottom line...

I am a monomaniac.

(And not in the clinical sense of the word either.) My work is my passion as well as my "re-creation" (notice the true meaning of the word). When asked the question, "How is work?" I can honestly answer, "Work is play."

I absolutely love what I do, and if you can say that too, then that goes a long way towards creating Harmonic Wealth®. I can think of nothing more fulfilling and re-creating than to meditate, study, read, learn, write, create, help and coach others, talk with you and share insights.

Yes, I do hike, workout, ski from time to time, go to movies and I even played golf poorly once. But these are not the things that make life meaningful for me.

Many see their work as a "means to an end," but for the monomaniac, their work is an end unto itself. Not just a job... a meaningful, passionate mission.
Your work is your passion and your love made manifest through action.

Is this the right approach for you? I'm not qualified to answer that question. What I am qualified to do is to check my own observations and experiences and agree with Drucker and Curly.

To accomplish anything of consequence, anything magnificent and great, you must be willing to literally trade your life for it. To be so passionately focused and committed that nothing will divert you. Nothing and no one can stop you.
My wish is that you find that "one thing" in your life:

Your white-hot passion that brings you tremendous meaning and purpose.

To your continued wealth and happiness,

James Arthur Ray
President/CEOJames Ray International