Friday, August 28, 2009

August Lesson - Freedom

At least once per month I will highlight a business, life or even funny lesson here. My purpose is not to teach nor preach but to share some of the crumbs I've gathered from other people's tables.


Have you ever read the book, The Alchemist? It's a great read by author Paulo Coelho. You should check it out. As a result of me reading this book many years ago coupled with my recent interest in all things Twitter, I have started to "follow" Paulo. He offers insight and inspiration to everyone.

In fact one of his quotes really got me thinking. Here it is:

@paulocoelho: 26/08: Freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose your task in life

That's deep. Many people have given their opinions on what freedom is. Is it simply retiring from work and watching game shows? Is it stopping a job to start a business? My mom "retired" a while ago. Not by choice mind you. But she's been busier than ever taking care of our grandmother, son and doing a variety of volunteer work.

So, when I came across this quote it hit me because this makes the most sense.

Freedom is the ability to
choose your task in life. So, while I'm not free yet, I know that I'm working my way towards it.


I would love to know your thoughts on this. With this quote in mind, do you consider yourself free? If so, why? If not, are you working towards your freedom?